Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Literal Second Chance at Life

I am creating this blog to tell my story of how my life changed in a few hours...of what happened (the short version) last Friday and how God spared my life. Thank you so much to everyone who has visited in the hospital, sent cards and meals, and phone calls of encouragement. It is going to be a long road ahead and we are grateful for everyone who was and is praying for us as we travel this journey. What a blessing it is to know there are people cheering and praying us along. So, I will try to keep this updated (for I don't have too much else I can do right now=) that way everyone will know how they can pray and rejoice with us as we see God answer pray along the way. So, back to the beginning.....

In just a couple of hours last Friday, my world changed from grocery shopping, changing diapers, and making plans for my getaway with Dustin to laying on an ER table with doctors and nurses surrounding me trying to get my blood levels (hemoglobin) up and IV’s in , listening to them talk about how bad things were and that my condition was “critical”. The words "ruptured" and "pregnant" stood out in my mind and continue to ring in my ears.

At that moment, I was worrying about Dustin and how he would do if….So, I told him I was a fighter and not to worry before they rushed me to the ambulance to transfer me to another hospital. I told God that I didn’t think I was really ready to go…that I had too much to do here: my kids, my husband, my youth kids …, I also told Him that my life was and always has been in His hands, and I gave it to Him-EVERYTHING. I was at peace…I truly had the kind of peace that passes all understanding…and even though no one knew at that time except Dustin to pray, I know that He was holding me in the shadow of His wings. So through the ambulance ride, and the blood transfusions, and kissing Dustin goodbye, and being slid onto the operating table with bright lights and the sound of the doctor saying he had never seen someone with such low hemoglobin levels and to order more units of blood “just in case” ( which they did use by the way) ….I still felt peace.

How great is our God….He gives and takes away…and He is still good. I have had such a hard time understanding that this year…how He could still be good and let such bad things happen. Yet I know, that through this sinful world we have to live in, He never leaves our side. No matter how much we mess up, how many times we stray, our Almighty God still loves us. That is the definition of a God that is Good... we just happen to live in sinful world temporarily.

I am still having a hard time with some of the details…with forgiveness….with the pain…the loss…, but than I heard a song that I love by Tim McGraw…”Live like you were dying”, and was reminded to not let this experience hold me back from truly living, truly loving with all my heart. I need to not focus on the part that I almost died, but that I lived. I talked to God for awhile today…truly poured my heart out…it’s been awhile since I let down those walls. I don’t want them to go back up, for than I will be missing out on one of the biggest things God is trying to teach me…yet again.

I learned to stop doing things because I need to or even want to, but do the things I am called to with everything I am. That is my purpose and what will bring God the most glory. I have had almost a week in the hospital with more blood transfusions, nurses and doctors, IV needles, and TV than I ever care to see again. I pray that God will continue to restore what the “locusts have eaten”, and that I will experience Him more than ever before. I desperately need Him for when I feel discouraged, and lonely, and in pain, I know I can always count on the One who gives me every breath and has my life planned out. I will end this entry with a quote that I have loved since High School from a famous missionary martyr named Jim Elliot “He is no fool to give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. ” To God be the glory forever and ever-“ no matter what.


4 comments:

  1. Christianne,

    Thank you for sharing a testimony of God's provision and love. I will pray that the Holy Spirit comforts you as you heal and grow.

    PS I may start calling you Christianne instead of Thompson...TBD.

    - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story and writing this blog.You,Dustin,and the kids are in my prayers!

    Love,
    Elizabeth Brantingson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Christy....I will continue to pray for you..as you journey through your next level of "hard"....though we never know why, you have communicated with excellence the fact that HE knows...and loves us through all of our "hards". I love you sister...and, will continue to pray!! HUGS in your healing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was just blessed by your blog. Our family just returned from a vacation in Williamsburg and had only heard bits of what was going on with your family right before we left and while we were gone. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this experience, but I can see how God is working in you and through you in a mighty way. I will contact Kris Hemphill soon to see if there is a way that we can help. We're heading out of town again for this weekend, but will be in town for a while after that if you need anything. We are also so sorry for your loss. I've lost 3 babies, so if you ever need to talk about the very real loss you experienced through your amazing survival, I'm available ANYTIME. Have been and will continue to pray for you and your family. Love, Jen Davies

    ReplyDelete